RuneScape, a popular MMORPG that has been around for decades, is expanding its horizons with a new tabletop RPG rulebook. This exciting development will allow players to bring the world of Gielinor from their PC screens to their weekly roleplay meetups.
The upcoming RPG book, called RuneScape Kingdoms: The Roleplaying Games, is being developed by Steamforged Games in collaboration with Jagex, the owner of RuneScape. Steamforged Games is known for adapting video games into analog versions like board games and tabletop RPGs.
Although details about the RPG have been scarce since it was announced in January 2022, a recent press release has shed some light on what we can expect. The core rulebook for RuneScape Kingdoms will provide everything newcomers need to get started in Gielinor and will be available for pre-order later this month alongside the board game.
Unlike the previous project Shadows of Elvarg, which raised £875,000 on Kickstarter last year, the RuneScape Kingdoms RPG did not take the crowdfunding route. Instead, it promises to offer a fresh but faithful take on the MMO experience that has captivated players since its release in 2001.
The tabletop version of Gielinor will feature familiar characters and questlines from the original game. It will also introduce a unique gameplay system using three six-sided dice to tackle monsters, challenges, and scammers outside of Lumbridge. This bespoke mechanical engine aims to be both accessible and elegant while capturing the magic of the RuneScape universe.
Game masters will find a detailed guide to RuneScape’s fantasy world in the core rulebook. It includes tables and tools for running an authentic RuneScape campaign with your group of players. You’ll find character creation options, systems for magic, prayers, crafting skills, and even a bestiary full of well-known monsters and bosses.
Mat Hart, co-founder and creative director at Steamforged Games, expressed excitement about the RuneScape Kingdoms project, highlighting the close collaboration with Jagex. He described it as a passion project to bring this special world to the tabletop in two immersive ways.
For more information about the RuneScape Kingdoms RPG, you can visit Steamforged Games’ website. Although there hasn’t been much promotion compared to its board game counterpart, the relative silence and lack of a crowdfunding campaign doesn’t necessarily indicate any issues. Steamforged Games underwent a major restructure earlier this year but it remains unclear if that will affect the development of either RuneScape Kingdoms title.
What Children will Enjoy
- RuneScape Kingdoms is a tabletop RPG based on the popular MMORPG RuneScape.
- It allows children to bring the world of RuneScape to life in their weekly roleplay meetups.
- The game includes characters and questlines from the original game, giving children a chance to interact with familiar elements.
- It features a unique mechanical engine that uses three six-sided dice for tackling monsters, challenges, and scammers in the game.
- The core rulebook provides everything children need to get started in the world of Gielinor.
- RuneScape Kingdoms is being developed by Steamforged Games in collaboration with Jagex, the owner of RuneScape.
- The game will be available for pre-order along with a board game version later this month.
- Unlike its board game counterpart, the RPG did not use crowdfunding for funding.
- The RPG aims to capture the unique magic of the RuneScape source material while providing an accessible and elegant gaming experience.
- Game masters will have access to a detailed guide to help them run authentic campaigns in the pulp fantasy world of RuneScape.